¿What is serverless computing?2022/02/23
Also known as serverless computing this is a method that has been gaining traction recently to serve the backend to the users of your site or application. This model is based on the cloud which makes it easy to develop applications without worrying about infrastructure or server management.
It is worth mentioning that although the name explicitly mentions that there are no servers involved, this is not correct. There are servers, however, the developer doesn't have to worry about managing it. Since the provider of this is the one in charge of all the routinary tasks that are related to the server. Giving the developer more time to worry about the performance of their application.
One of the main advantages of a serverless architecture is that it only stays active when needed. That is, when an event occurs in the code that must execute a function that we would normally run on the server, the provider is responsible for allocating only the necessary resources to execute that task and charging for these specific resources. This model of paying per piece of code executed is known as "Functions as a service" (FaaS)
Advantages present in serverless computing
- Lower costs: by only paying for the resources we use, it is much cheaper to maintain your application.
- Easy scalability: when we develop in this architecture, we don't have to worry about our server being enough to meet the demand of our users.
- Simpler code: as we only have to worry about executing the functions we need for proper operation, our "Backend" code will be much more concise since we don't have the rest of the code we need to keep the server running.
Disadvantages present in serverless computing
- Not being able to control your own logic on the server.
- The restrictions that the provider establishes can affect the flexibility and customization of your system.
- Cold starts when there is low demand.
What awaits us in the future?
Serverless computing is still a very new architecture. The companies that provide this type of service work day after day to try to counteract the respective disadvantages of this model. What is quite certain is that this type of architecture is coming to the market to stay and to solve one of the main problems that many developers and companies face when creating and deploying an application in the cloud.